schoblogsky

Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's Not Such A Wide Webby World: Part 1

Ok. So, I have to write a blog entry about the history of the Internet, and I will...tomorrow. First, I have to preface that assignment with this story: I just watched a newsclip of a moose wandering around Maine on my computer. Here, I'll start at the beginning.

I was looking at my friend Anna's blog intothewildblueyonder to see if she had written anything lately (forgetting that she hadn't because bloglines didn't say so), when I noticed for the first time that she has a list of links to some of her favorite things under her picture. I went to my profile to see if I could add some of my favorite links to my profile, but couldn't figure out how to do it. (Anna, if you're reading this, could you help me?) As I was scrolling down my dashboard page, I noticed that the lovely people at blogspot had given me a list of other blogs to read, one of which was called LibraryThing. Of course I was intrigued and clicked on it.

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING:
This is where my story gets very sad.

Apparently, LibraryThing lives in Maine and witnessed the death of a moose today. In his blog he gives an account of what happened, as far as he could tell, but also provides a link to the story as it appeared in the news. This link contains text and a video of the moose wandering around. I didn't watch the whole thing, because it supposedly got hit by a car and being the animal-lover that I am, I couldn't bear to see that.

But that's when it hit me: I'm sitting on my bed at midnight listening to Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys and watching a newsclip of a moose wandering around a city in Maine on my computer when I don't even watch the news on my tv at 5 or 6 o'clock about things that happen in Chicago. How crazy is that? How wonderful is that?

But I'm really sorry that the moose had to die.

5 Comments:

Blogger andystardust said...

I can help you add some links to your profile.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

I'm very sad myself - I love moose (meese?). I remember one time when I was driving (when I used to live in Maine), and a moose crossed the road in front of me and ambled on through the golf course on the other side of the road. That's probably the most close up I've ever been to a moose, but they are very cool creatures.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Joy Austria said...

I like your comment on how crazy and wonderful it is that you're reading about a moose dying versus the local news. Regardless what the story is - random story from Maine or headliner from Chicago - don't we just live in a sick sad world? Then again think about the power of the internet to deliver random news to your doorstep. Is that what you're referring to? The chances of you hearing about this story...nay...witnessing the story would have been slim without the internet. It's awesome and somewhat depressing at the same time because now that we can see all these random, heartbreaking stories it only intensifies the fact we live in a sick sad world. Sigh.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Bethie B said...

oh, sad, sad, sad. i've always wanted to come face-to-face (well, more like face-to-kneecap) with a moose. when i was last in vermont and upstate new york i spent most of my time on the roads with the "caution, moose crossing" signs, and sadly, i saw no moose. and now there is one less moose.

11:27 AM  
Blogger lisa s. said...

That was exactly my point, Joy. I never would have known about that moose without the power of the Internet. Although it died,(and again I want to stress how intensely sad I am about the circumstances surrounding this death) I feel that I am still a better person for having witnessed? experienced? this bit of information because it has given me a more heightened sense of awareness in general, which I guess means that I'm just a person who is now better informed. And it feels good.

The drawback is that I feel like I'm seeing dead animals everywhere I go now, like the flat chipmunk in the Dominican parking lot.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home